Will Laser Hair Removal Work For Me?
Unlike single-procedure lasers, which are only effective for dark hair and lighter skin, intense pulsed light treatments are effective for all types of hair and skin colours. The only exception is white hair since it contains no melanin – the substance that absorbs the light.
You should not have laser hair removal if you have certain skin conditions, recent skin treatments or other medical conditions.
How Do I Prepare for My Treatment?
- All types of tanning should be avoided for at least 2 – 4 weeks before your treatment. Tanning makes the skin more sensitive as it has suffered from UV damage. Also, the effectiveness of the treatment depends to a degree on the contrast between the colour of your hair and your skin. The less the contrast, the more likely your skin will absorb the light energy and the higher the risk of damage to your skin.
- Hair should be shaved or snipped 24 – 48 hours before treatment for best results. Long hair will absorb most of the light energy, preventing it from penetrating down to the hair follicle.
- Avoid tweezing, waxing, electrolysis or bleaching for at least two weeks prior to your treatment.
- You should wait at least 2 – 4 weeks after any Botox® injections or facial fillers.
- Advise us of all medical conditions and medications before your treament.
- Avoid the use of Tazorac ®or Retin A in the area to be treated for 2 weeks prior to
How Long Does the Laser Hair Removal Process Take?
The length of the laser hair removal process depends on the size of the area being treated. Small regions, such as the upper lip or underarm, will be done in approximately 10 minutes while large areas like the legs or back can take up to half an hour or so. The Starlux® system is considerably faster than other systems.
Does the Treatment Hurt?
IPL treatments are non-invasive and virtually painless, unlike other methods like electrolysis, waxing or tweezing. You may feel some slight discomfort, especially if you have dark skin. Dark skin contains more melanin, which attracts the light energy. The discomfort is very minor and no numbing agents or anaesthesia is required.
Laser Hair Removal Side Effects
IPL works on the principle of selective photothermolysis – the hair and hair follicle are detroyed but the skin isn’t. You may, however, see some laser hair removal side effects, such as swelling and redness, for a brief period of time after treatment. This will soon disappear and your skin will be beautifully smooth.
At Preventous Cosmetic Medicine, laser hair removal side effects are minimized because the treatments are always done by a highly experienced medical aesthetician. The risk of discolouration, bruising or infection is very rare.
How Many Treatments Do I Need?
The number of required treatments varies from person to person depending on the area treated and the characteristics of their hair and skin.
The effectiveness of the treatment also depends on how much of your hair is in the anagen (growth) stage. Hairs that are not in the growing stage do not contain melanin, the key substance that attracts the light energy.
We have found most people experience lasting hair reduction after about 6 treatments.
Laser Hair Removal Results
Although the hair and hair follicles are destroyed by heat, the hair is not burned off. Some of it will be loosened enough to be wiped away after the treatment but others will remain in place for a short period of time until it is pushed out by the skin.
IPL laser hair removal results are long-lasting. After a series of treatments, you will experience hair reduction of almost all the hair in the treatment area.
Learn more about the state-of-the art Starlux® IPL hair removal system or call us today for a consultation.