Because they are made with hyaluronic acid, natural dermal fillers have proven to be very safe products, free of serious or long-lasting side effects. Hyaluronic acid is a natural component in the body that is instrumental in maintaining and renewing cells.
In most instances, side effects are minimal or absent. These products have been used safely for many years in a number of medical and cosmetic applications.
When side effects do occur, they are usually very mild, limited to the site of the injection and last less than 7 days. Possible dermal filler side effects include:
- Pin point redness
- Mild tenderness
- Firmness, swelling, lumps or bumps
To further minimize the possibility of side effects, you should avoid strenuous exercise, consumption of alcohol and excessive sun or heat exposure for 24 hours after your treatment.
Dermal filler may not be recommended in certain situations and you should advise us if you:
- Have severe allergies or anaphylaxis
- Are under 18 years of age
- Are pregnant or breastfeeding
- Regularly use medications (such as aspirin) that can prolong bleeding
- Are receiving immunosuppressive therapy
- Are considering laser treatments or chemical peels after your dermal filler treatment